Saturday, September 11, 2010

Small Town Service

Anyone who's never had the experience of working in a small-town library has missed out on a lot. I've been working at my local library for 4 years now and it has been a great learning experience. I have gained a lot of confidence in my people skills and have changed my outlook on people since working there. I have gotten to know all of the locals and have gotten close to a lot of them. Even a few of the newer patrons enjoy talking to me and having me help them. When I first started working there I thought it was just to earn money for gas, but now I realized I've become more of a part of the community and have learned so much.

It's funny to me how comfortable people are around me, because I don't think much of it, but this one really nice lady had been looking at some magazines and as she was walking past me, commented on how much junk is in magazines now. She said they were such a waste of money because of all the terrible advertisements and other things. It makes me feel really good about my job that people feel comfortable enough to chat and share their thoughts.

Today, I helped with a good deed for a lady who comes in quite frequently and sometimes is annoying because she always wants us to look up famous people's birthdays for her. She'll bring in a huge list and it gets a little much. Today, a young guy came in and said a lady was having trouble with her oxygen tank. I didn't know what to expect, and when I got outside, it was this lady and she couldn't figure out how to hook it up and turn it on or off. Between the two of us, we got it figured out for her and I showed her how to use it. She came in a little later and told me she was very impressed with how I was able to help her and thanked me. Then she told me I looked like Chelsea Clinton. :P I thought that was funny and asked her if she meant it as a compliment and she said, "Oh, I think she's just beautiful." It was funny. But I was thinking about her after she left, and I realized how much she and other people depend on their library, not just for books and resources, but for companionship and someone who will listen and care about them.

In a day in which there is such a lack of customer service and care for others, it's nice to know you can depend on your local library. And now I realize I've become a part of that and it makes me smile. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment