Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Are You an Adult Yet?

I overheard this conversation between a mom and her son in the library the other day. She was telling her son that adults deal with difficult situations by either laughing or crying. She kept saying to him, "You either laugh or you cry. Adults either laugh or cry."

I thought she was a little odd and did not really agree with her at the time. It was stuck in the back of my head and today I was thinking about a situation and that saying popped into my head: "You either laugh or you cry." I don't know what was wrong with me before, but that is totally true.

The son could not understand his mom's reasoning, and at the time, I wasn't cluing in. She was saying he'd understand when he was an adult. I wanted to tell her I was an adult and didn't understand. But, now I realize I do.

I'm not saying I'm wise and mature, neither am I saying I've experienced a lot of sorrow, but in 2 majorly sad times in my life this saying is completely true.

Sometimes the laughter might seem uncouth or inappropriate, but it's the only way to stop yourself from crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment