Friday, March 5, 2010

CROSSING THE LINE - THE INTIFADA COMES TO CAMPUS

CROSSING THE LINE - THE INTIFADA COMES TO CAMPUS

I got this video emailed to me today and it's really shocking. I've grown up in a small town, small county, but despite the "small-town" feel, I've heard anti-Semitic statements since high school. It was from kids who didn't have a clue what they were talking about, but they picked up the statements somewhere. When someone acted weird or out of the ordinary, they were called "acting Jewish." I heard statements like, "That's so Jewish." They didn't make sense, so I'd call kids on it and they'd ask me if I liked Jews. I said I had no reason not to and they'd be quiet for a while. In college, I haven't heard a lot, although I don't live on campus so I don't hear the conversations all the time. However, I have seen one of those demonstrations they talk about in the video, where kids act like they are being shot by Jews or by US soldiers. I go to a pretty liberal college and they are anti war of any kind. However, I was shocked when seeing that. Just recently, when reading an article about a study done when Israel took in refugees after Chernobyl, we were talking about something to do with land and refugees, and this grad student said, "Yeah, Israel's always taking over people's land and kicking them out." I could hardly believe my ears. Here's a grad student, gone to college for around 5-6 years, and he's just as confused as those high school students. Shocking really. Anyways, watch this video, it's eye-opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment