Monday, August 22, 2011

7 Month Hiatus

Well folks, it has been 7 months since I've last posted. Yes, I know that's an awfully long time. What can I say? Life has been BUSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Yes, I know most people are busy. Despite only holding 2 jobs for most of the 7 months, and not going to school anymore, I still have managed to be extremely busy. At a different point I'll have to expound, possibly share some pictures, possibly do neither.

Biggest, most important news is probably that I have a career change. At least for the moment. As my faithful readers know, I've been uncertain as to what exactly the Lord has for me to do in my future. Since you all know me quite well, marriage isn't in my near future, so what's a single lady to do? Obviously I have to pay the bills somehow, and I'd rather do it with a job I enjoy. So, since 8th grade I've been going towards the path of Occupational Therapist. I've prayed and prayed and sought advice, and nothing stopped me, so I kept at it. I graduated almost exactly a year ago in August 2010 with my Bachelor's degree with all my medical prerequisites done for Occupational Therapy. I had already applied to Grad school to start my Master of OT and found out I was on the waiting list. Well, the 2010/2011 school year came and went and no spot was made for me. In November 2010, I had to reapply for this coming Fall entry into the same school. I did everything and waited and waited to hear back. I prayed that God would give me a clear answer as to what to do next. Well, sometime in the spring I found out I did not get into Grad school. I was pretty sad, but somewhat relieved as it would have meant me moving to Tacoma for 2.5 years, which I knew would have a big impact on me spiritually.

I started volunteering at BCA in September 2010 on my one free day because one of the teachers is a friend and always asked me to come and help. I loved it! The kids were a lot of fun and it was nice to do volunteering for believers. I have volunteered a lot at the hospital and other local places, but volunteering for the Lord is always more rewarding. Then I started helping with the building of the new school building for BCA. That took up most of my free time, which is mostly why I've been so busy. It's super rewarding though. I have loved it all.

Anyways, the Learning Assistant for BCA was not going to be coming back this Fall, and the principal asked me if I would consider working at the school. I have never wanted to be a teacher, despite many people telling me it would be perfect for me. I prayed about it and still didn't see myself as a teacher, however, the Learning Assistant position is different. It is one-on-one rather than teaching a whole class. I prayed about it and talked with Brother Byskal. I accepted the position and am starting on September 6!

I'm very excited for the job. I took some training this summer for it, and did quite well. :) I've had confirmation after confirmation about the job, and for the first time in my life, I actually feel like I'm exactly where God wants me at this point in my life. Yes, it's going to be a time-consuming job and will be a bit of a challenge, but I love challenges, and I'm exited to be working with kids I have a personal connection with.

If you had asked me a year ago if I saw myself here, I would have laughed. God really started a work in November and has continued it. I have been learning to trust Him, and His people. It's a big step for me. I have been finding out how little I trusted before. God sure knows what He's doing, which I'm glad about because I'm clueless most of the time.

Despite disappointments and confusion sometimes, I keep telling myself this, "One day, I'm going to look back on this all and laugh."

2 comments:

  1. Wow, time is really flying! I am happy that you are excited for your new job!!! I like the icon =) I should do an icon post like in the 'old days' lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome, ruth! sounds like its going to be just where you are supposed to be! God really does have different plans than we do at times, yet its all for the best!! good for you! & I missed your updates :)

    ReplyDelete